WB Games | Avalanche Blog
July 17, 2021
Senior VFX Software Engineer
Avalanche Software, a division of WB Games Inc. seeks a Senior Visual FX Software Engineer with rendering and special effects experience to join our talented team working on upcoming AAA console title Hogwarts Legacy.
As a member of our studio’s engineering team, you will collaborate with designers, artists, and other engineers to develop immersive gameplay experiences with industry leading visuals.
Candidates must demonstrate high competency for rendering, feature development, and a true passion for game development. The ideal candidate is hard-working, hands-on, self-motivated, process-driven, and customer-oriented. Collaboration with VFX artists and designers is essential as the candidate will be helping drive and realize both special effect visuals and underlying effects technology in the game.
Design, author, maintain and refactor visual and effects systems to meet all design, technical and schedule requirements.
- Collaborate with technical leadership to help establish overall technical design and architecture.
- Work in concert with VFX artists and content creators to engineer solutions that satisfy design and content vision.
- Work with QA and technical leadership to ensure the performance, stability and accuracy of code and authoring systems by identifying, communicating, and resolving defects.
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience, working on cross-functional teams.
- Experience with HLSL/GLSL, special effects, and advanced mathematics.
- Strong knowledge of several real-time rendering topics (lighting, shading, shadows, global illumination, post-processing, etc.)
- Thorough knowledge and comfort with object-oriented programming concepts
- Excellent debugging skills and understanding of graphics optimization issues.
- Ability to architect, program and optimize C/C++ in existing or new systems.
- Strong verbal communication skills, ability to easily communicate technical topics with both engineers and non-technical people.
- Ability to self-manage when given prioritized goals and objectives.
- Work in OpenCL/CUDA or other massively parallel general processing paradigms.
- Knowledge of Graphics APIs (DirectX 11/12, Consoles) and graphics pipelines.
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python.
- Experience with the Unreal Engine 4; familiarity with Niagara.
- Technical demo or publication(s) are a plus.